Moo Brew the Clean Way
One of my favorite things in the entire world is family recipes. I love hearing stories of my family gathered together enjoying special recipes. It's amazing how a certain smell or taste can bring us right back to a certain time in our lives. Grandma's biscuits, Mom's buttermilk pie, Dad's chili, Mama Rose's sausage bread. Each one holds special memories of incredible people in my life.
Today's recipe is one that was introduced to me by my boyfriend's mother. She is an amazing cook and I feel like I learn something from her every time we spend time together. A few years ago for Christmas she gave my boyfriend a handmade cookbook with lots of recipes he grew up eating. I treasure this book more than any of my other cookbooks. Its contents are rich with love and precious memories.
Moo Brew is one of our favorites from the book (although we love them all). We make this recipe every year as the weather turns from Summer to Autumn. It is rich, hearty and complex in flavor- but still uses simple ingredients and is relatively easy to prepare!
- Mix together gluten free flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Coat strips of meat in gluten free flour mixture.
- Using a large saute pan, brown the meat in coconut oil.
- Once browned add onion and cook until onion is tender.
- Add beer, beef broth, coconut sugar and 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce if desired.
- Cover and simmer until the meat is tender.
- Add the carrot chunks.
- Cook until carrots are cooked, but still crisp.
- Spoon over rice or quinoa and enjoy!
We changed a few ingredients to make this recipe clean eating. The original used brown sugar and we use coconut. It also used corn starch and we use gluten free all purpose flour. We have found these substitues do not detract from the quality of the recipe and meet our needs for cleaner eating.