Back To School Paleo Egg Muffins
Let me start by saying, this time of year can be super stressful! For those of you with children, going back to school is a very hectic time. For those of you who work retail, back to school is insanely busy! College students, trust me I understand! The next few weeks can truly effect the way you eat. As we get busy, it is so tempting to grab poptarts, cereal, or other sugary foods as a quick alternative to healthy eating.
How can you avoid this trap? FOOD PREP!
Food prep sounds way more daunting than it should. It evokes images of 50 plastic tupaware containers filled with chicken you need to cook, a variety of veggies that you need to sautee, rice or quinoa that you have to spend time cooking... Oh the horror! I am not against this type of food prep, if it works for your lifestyle. I applaud those who are on this level of organization! It simply does not work for me.
So what do I mean by food prep? I mean simple food that can be put together quickly and refrigerated to grab and go throughout the week.
Now enter these "Back to School Paleo Egg White Muffins". This recipe came from a desire to not waste egg whites that were leftover after making a paleo bacon ice cream with the yolks (recipe coming soon!). It took me about 10 minutes to prep and cooked for 30 minutes while I did other things. After they cooled I threw them into a plastic freezer bag and will be snagging one each morning to add as part of my breakfast.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add a small amount of coconut oil to each individual cup of the muffin tin and place in oven to melt while prepping other ingredients.
3. Dice the yellow squash, tomato and radish very small.
4. Mix all veggies and choice of spices to lightly beaten egg whites until incorporated.
5. Pour a small amount of the mixture into each cup of the muffin tin.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes, to desired doneness.
7. Cool and store in a plastic freezer bag in the fridge.