Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Pineapple Upside down cake is one of those traditional desserts that no one wants to give up, regardless of allergies or food sensitivites. This recipe combines a gluten free cake mix, fresh pineapple, grass-fed butter and coconut sugar. Oh, I also had some duck eggs and used them in place of chicken eggs. They made the cake so insanely fluffy!
I used a pie dish (because who doesn't love a pretty round cake?).
1. Place 1/4 cup butter in the bottom of your pan.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place pan with butter in the oven as it's preheating, until completely melted.
3. Next, remove pan from oven and sprinkle your 1/4 cup coconut sugar over the melted butter (you may use more or less coconut sugar to your taste).
4. Gather ingredients called for on cake box, I prefer milk over water for the creaminess.
5. Prepare cake according to box directions CUT IN HALF (in other words, I used half the cake mix and split all the ingredients it called for in half.)
6. Delicately layer your pineapple slices on top of the butter sugar mixture.
7. Slowly pour cake batter over pineapples, ensuring the batter covers the entire dish.
8. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, checking often. Ovens may vary, so keep an eye on your cake.
9. Flip over and allow to cool a bit.
10. Enjoy your gluten free cake!
I would love to eventually try to make this cake completely without sugar (only coconut sugar). The box mix I currently use contains cane sugar. If you know of a sugar free, gluten free cake mix, please tell me about it in the comments! Or a gluten free recipe from scratch that only uses coconut sugar or honey. Thanks!
This recipe was inspired by a cute recipe I found on Sally's Baking Addiction. I made several modifications, but thank you for the great starting point, Sally!
Dj cade (not verified)
Wed, 07/15/2015 - 4:58pm
My favorite cake & it's gluten free!! Looks wonderful!
Sat, 07/18/2015 - 2:44pm
Dj, I made it because I know how much you love it and wanted to show you how easy it is to do gluten free! I'm making it for you next time I come to town.
Add new comment