Pumpkin Seed Milk
Seed cycling is all the rage and for a good reason!
If you haven't read the book, Woman Code by Alisa Vitti, then GET ON IT!
This book has totally transformed how I view my period and improved my body acceptance by leaps and bounds. This book talks all about the female endocrine system and how the foods we put into our bodies effect our hormones. That sentence may have sounded a little boring, but I promise this book isn't!
This book was my first introduction to the concept of eating certain foods according to which cycle my body is in. For each phase there are seeds and nuts listed that will help in balancing your hormones- this is called Seed Cycling.
Lee from America did an amazing write-up on this subject that I encourage you to read. Lee mentions specific benefits of seed cycling that include:
- "may help balance hormones
- lessen PMS symptoms
- trigger a period (for those with amenorrhea)
- help the release of certain hormones
- Others say it helps them combat hormonal acne, abnormal bleeding, fatigue, infertility, sleep issues, and irregular periods commonly associated with imbalanced hormones."
I have found that the easiest way for me to seed cycle is by making nut & seed milks to consume during each phase of my cycle. The first alternative milk I want to share with you is pumpkin seed milk. It is best to consume pumpkin seeds during your menstrual & follicular phase.
Pumpkin seeds support the hormone progesterone and they make a really creamy, delicious milk!
- to a small bowl add the 4 tbs pumpkin seeds and pour over 1 cup of purified water. Cover with a lid. Allow the seeds to soak in this water overnight (8-12 hours).
- Discard the 1 cup of soaking water and rinse the seeds.
- Add the seeds to a high powered blender along wtih 4 cups of fresh purified water.
- Blend for 3-5 mintues or until the seeds are broken down as much as they can be.
- Strain with a nut bag or fine seive.
- Add back to blender with 1 tsp raw honey and blend for about a minute.
- Add to coffee, matcha lattes, smoothies, or anywhere you would use milk!
For added fun add in seasonal extras! For the Fall you can add in pumpkin spice and orange zest. For the Spring you can add lavender flowers and vanilla. Be creative and find a flavor combo that makes you happy!
***Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. I am simply sharing my experience of what works for me. Please consult a professional with health-related questions.
Isabel Medina (not verified)
Tue, 09/04/2018 - 10:28pm
Oh I have never tried this! Where do you buy the seeds?
Add new comment